Skip to main content

About Us

Mission

To serve the financially-related needs of our diverse membership while maintaining a sound, member-owned association.

Values

  • Honesty and Integrity
  • Education
  • Member Trust
  • Welfare of Staff

History

April 22, 1936
Charter granted to Marion school employees to operate a credit union under the Federal Credit Union Act of 1934. Marion, Indiana Public School Employees Federal Credit Union was established.


December 31, 1940
Assets totaled $5,537


September 10, 1956
Extension of the membership area to include all school employees in Grant County.


September 1960
Payroll deduction was introduced


June 22, 1961
Amendment of the charter to include retired school employees


Clair StaffordMarch 1964
Credit union moved from the home of charter member, Clair Stafford, to leased office space at 1373 North Baldwin Avenue. Mr. Stafford was the first assistant treasurer-manager.


ClevingerSeptember 1965
Employment of the first full time manager, John M. Clevinger. Mr. Clevinger was a charter member and the first treasurer.


January 1966
Christmas Club account introduced


October 1966
Loan balance exceeded $1 million


June 30, 1967
First semi-annual dividend paid


March 1968
Assets exceeded $1 million


January 1970
Money orders were introduced


August 31, 1971
Assets reached $2 million


Bradner office

August 19, 1972

Moved into the new offices at 515 N Bradner Ave in Marion

 


April 1976
Open-end credit limit (Gem Loan) was introduced


September 1979
Assets reached $5 million


July 2, 1980
Purchased "in house" data processing system


1981
Money Market Share accounts were introduced


Hale1983 
Merged with the Blackford County Public Employees FCU having assets of $750,000. Tom Hale was a charter member and served as treasurer/manager from his home.


Hartford Branch1984
Hartford City Branch established

 


Visa Logo
1985
VISA Credit Card was introduced


Cuso logoOctober 1987
Established a new department to offer financial planning services, alternative investments and insurance products


MSEFCU logo
December 1987
Shortened name to Marion School Employees Federal Credit Union


Old South1990
Purchased building at 4505 S Adams Street in Marion.

Purchased loan assets ($5.1 million) from Lampco FCU's Gas City and Hartford City offices and acquired "community" credit union field of membership language for these areas


Hartford City1991
Constructed and opened branch in Hartford City

 


September 1992
Exceeded $50 million in assets with 15,500 members


January 1993
ATM cards were introduced


ATM1994
Installed first ATM at the Indiana Wesleyan University Student Center

 


Gas City Branch1995
Constructed and opened branch in Gas City

 


Old west branch1996
Purchased, remodeled, and opened branch at 2232 W 2nd Street in Marion

 


May 1997
Debit Cards were introduced 


Webpage1998
Website with online banking was introduced

 


1999
Assets reached $100 million


NorthviewAug 1999
Opened first Student Operated Branch at Northview Elementary

 


January 2003
Assets reached $150 million


Admin BranchDec 2003
Constructed and opened branch and administration center at 4505 S Adams Street in Marion


drive up ATMApril 2005
Purchased and remodeled drive up ATM in Upland.

 


2007
Became a state-chartered credit union and expanded field of membership to anyone living or working in Blackford, Grant, Madison or Miami County.


May 2008 
Assets reached $200 million.


Via logoJuly 2008
A naming committee that included members, staff and management selected two names and placed them before the membership for a vote. Via Credit Union received the most votes.


West 2nd branchJuly 2008
Constructed and opened new branch at 2232 W 2nd St in Marion.

 


July 2009 
Assets reached $250 million.


Platinum VISAMarch 2010
VISA Platinum Rewards Credit Card was introduced.


East BranchNovember 2010
Merger with Grant County Community Federal Credit Union.
Established branch at 6033 East Big Play Way in Marion and an office in the Post Office in downtown Marion.


via mobile

March 2013 

Mobile app and website were introduced.

 


membership mapJuly 2013
Expanded Membership to include Delaware, Hamilton, Howard, Huntington, Tipton, Wabash and Wells County.


January 2014 
Assets reached $300 million. 


May 2016 
Business Loans were introduced.


deposit checksJune 2016
Remote Deposit in the ViaMobile app was introduced.

 


Warsaw branchFebruary 2017

Merger with United Credit Union and established branch at 1911 Plaza Drive in Warsaw. 

 


membership mapFebruary 2017
Field of membership expanded to include Kosciusko County.